Complaint (by Kierkegaard)



“One sticks one’s fingers into the soil to tell by the smell in what land one is:
 I stick my finger into existence – it smells of nothing. Where am I? 
How came I here? 
What is this thing called the world?
 What does this world mean? 
Who is it that has lured me into this thing and now leaves me there? … How did I come into the world? Why was I not consulted? 
… but thrust into the ranks as though as I had been bought of a kidnapper, a dealer in souls? How did I obtain an interest in this big enterprise they call reality?
 Why should I have an interest in it?
 Is it not a voluntary concern? 
And if I am compelled to take part in it, where is the director?
 … Whither shall I turn with my complaint?”


Kierkegaard


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The unfulfilled agricultural potential of Africa's giant

Misplaced Priorities of the EU migration policy and its relation to aid

"Accra Accra" - how the Trotros keep the city moving