Loung Phabang




Alex and I tried very hard to catch the local bus to Louang Phabang, but they wouldn't let two white girls buy tickets - instead we ended up with a bunch of tourists on the VIP bus ... I was actually supposed to sit in the aile, because their was no seats left when we got to the bus station ... but I got lucky and snatched one anyways : )

Once we arrived, the Canadian from the day before and a girl from Hong Kong, joined us and we negotiated a group discount at a lovely hotel downtown.

Loung Phabang is surrounded by lofty, green mountains and cut by the swift Mekong river. A tiny mountain kingdom for more than a thousand years and designated World Heritage site sine 95, with many red- roofed temples and French-Indochina architecture. So far one of my favorite town in South East Asia - also because of my visit to Wat Xiang Thong - the most historic and enchanting Buddist monastery in the all of Laos!

Monkhood (not sure if this a word) is much different over here than in the west. Many young monks "serve" only for a few years, mostly because it will provide them with free education - maybe similar to our military service. The novice monks in Xiang Thong (mostly teenagers) were the most unusual that I have encountered yet. Many of them smoking cigarettes, listing to i-pods (Madonna, Bush, Everlast ...) and inviting foreigners to play a hugh drum with them ... really amazing actually. I was captivated for a good hour before I explored the rest of the city.

Originally I planned on booking a flight from here to Hanoi, because the two boarder crossings I considered taking, were not "advisable" for tourist.
There was another one I had heard about, far north which open up in 2007, but my 2005 guidebook didn't have any details ...

Somehow Alex and I decided to just continue our travels north, and I left Loung Phabang without booking a flight ...(we also didn't end up going to the waterfalls close by, everybody raved about). The morning we left for Nong Khiaw I got up early (5am) to see the local women supply the monks with food. Beautiful to see hundred of orange ropes in a row, passing by kneeing women, handing out food to them ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The unfulfilled agricultural potential of Africa's giant

Misplaced Priorities of the EU migration policy and its relation to aid

"Accra Accra" - how the Trotros keep the city moving